The Q&A Archives: Little Clear Round Balls On Tomato Plant Stems

Question: I have little clear round balls on the stems of my tomato plant. The leaves are curling and very brittle. We have had plenty of rain in the past month. What are these round balls? Please help.

Answer: The clear round balls are probably water droplets with plant carbohydrates mixed in. When plants are growing quickly and water is abundant, excess moisture is forced out of natural openings in stems and leaves. The sugar content keeps it from evaporating, resulting in little droplets that remain until they dry out and fall off. Curling, brittle leaves can indicate overwatering. Remove the affected leaves (just in case there's a disease lurking there). Your plants should recover once things dry out a bit. Hope you have a bountiful harvest!