The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Daylily

Question: I have some beautiful daylilies in my backyard, but I would like to transplant them to a place where they can be more enjoyed for their beauty. How would I go about this process?

Answer: Water them well the day before. Have your new planting holes dug and prepared so that the roots are exposed for as little time as possible. I suggest you mix a phosphorous source such as bone meal into the bottom of the planting hole to promote bloom. Cut back foliage by about 1/3 to facilitate digging, if necessary. Dig them with as large a rootball as possible and keep the soil intact. Replant immediately, mulch and water well. Keep soil consistently moist until well established in the new location. Enjoy those blooms!