The Q&A Archives: Japanese Maple Tree Not Full Of Leaves.

Question: I have a 35 or 40 year Japanese Maple Tree and until last year it was full and beautiful. This year has about 3/4 full than last year. It looks very rare. I will like to know if the tree is dying, or is it anything we can do.

Answer: You must have a beautiful tree. It may have suffered during last year's drought and the results of that showed up this spring. It might also have been weakened by the drought and contracted some other problem as a result. Since it is an older and more valuable tree, you might want to have a professionally trained and certified arborist check it out for you to make sure there is nothing serious happening. They could also neatly prune away the dead branches before they begin to break off to minimize the risk of insect or disease entering that way.