The Q&A Archives: Small Black Bugs On Potatoes, Tomatoes, Beans?

Question: I have found the tiniest black bugs under the leaves of my beans, potatoes and tomatoes. They eat small holes in the leaves. They seem to fly ? when approached how ever, they are so small and move quickly so I am not sure. I did powder with Seven Dust and that seemed to control them for the time being. What are they and any other solutions?

Answer: Most likely you have flea beetles which are a common pest of vegetables. They are excellent jumpers and can transmit diseases to the plants. Garlic sprays are effective against flea beetles if it makes contact with the beetles. Neem or pyrethrum are both good organic controls. Be sure to thoroughly spray all parts of the plant, especially under the leaves.

To control the problem next year, be sure the garden has a thorough fall clean up to prevent overwintering of the pest.