The Q&A Archives: "rose Of Sharon" Seedling Problem

Question: I have several "ROSE OF SHARON" bushes on my property. Most of these bushes are in a non-grass area which is covered with ground cloth and a heavy layer of cedar mulch. Two of the bushes are on the lawn.

The problem...

Each year I have to hand pick the seedlings that grow around the base of the bushes. It is a mess. I am presently hand plucking these seedlings which is a very tedious exercise.

The question...

Is there a insecticide that I can spray to quickly get
rid of these seedlings which would not harm the bush or
lawn and not be harmfull to pets? Or do you have another

I do not want to remove the bushes as they are quite
beautifull during the July and August.

Your help would be much apprectiated.

Thank you.

Ray Chabot
Enfield, CT.

Answer: Self seeding has been the bane of these plants since they were introduced to the garden! Hand pulliung is easier the sooner it is accomplished so the plants are still small, and is also easiest when the soil is wet.

You could carefully spot treat (perhaps using the wipe on method) with an herbicide containing glyphosate, but do read the label carefully with regard to correct application and safety measures. This is a nonselective herbicide and so must not be allowed to contact desirable plants.

In future, you can prevent the plants from setting seed by deadheading them after they bloom, or by removing the seed pods in late fall or early winter before the seeds are released.

Finally, some of the newer named varieties either set seed that is not viable, or set less seed than the older types so you might consider planting some of those.