The Q&A Archives: Snapped Sunflower Stem

Question: I've been trying to grow sunflowers. I have two plants that I started from seed and transplanted into my garden. The plants are roughly 12" tall. This morning, my dog ran into the area where the sunflowers are and knocked them over. The stems broke but are not severed all the way through. I put in longer stakes and brought the stems upright and tied them to the stake. Will these plants survive? If so, what special care should I offer? If not, it's mid-late June, is it to late to start from seed again?

Answer: Unfortunately, I don't think these can be splinted. There is still time to replant though. You might want to fence off the area so there are no more accidents -- or possibly cage the seedlings so the dog will know to avoid them.