The Q&A Archives: Identifying Tomato Pests

Question: The last two years, starting in late May or June, I've found these strange bugs on my tomato plants - they look like a combination of a stink bug and a wasp - dark grayish. They fly all over the place and lay eggs on the tomatoes - the eggs hatch

Answer: This pest sounds like a doozy! I couldn't find anything that resembles what you've described in any of my books. Are you sure the flying insect you see is the parent to the "ant like guys?" For a positive I.D. and solution, I recommend collecting a sample of either the adult or the juvenile stage and taking or sending it to your extension office. The local office in Augusta can tell you where to direct your inquiry - their phone number is 706-821-2351.