The Q&A Archives: Swimming Pool Water

Question: My neighbor has a swimming pool which from time to time is partially drained because the level is too high. At present, I am allowing him to allow this chlorinated water to flow onto my area which contains apple trees, my vegetable garden and a small amount into the rose bed. Can any harm come from this? I am not sure how much water is allowed to flow, but I would estimate that it could be several hundred gallons.

Answer: I would not expect the water to do any harm, especially since it is not being applied to the foliage and as long as the plants are showing no ill effects. One possible consideration might be that the ground becomes over-saturated and the plants have trouble dealing with the excess moisture, especially if it is being drained due to excessive rain.