The Q&A Archives: Saving Plant After Repotting

Question: I've recently repotted a plant and as a result the leaves have been dying one after another. I would like to know if there is anything I can do to save it before the entire plant dies? Thank you.

Answer: It's a bit difficult to make a suggestion without knowing what kind of plant it is, but there are several reasons why this might be happening. Assuming the problem is related to the repotting and is not an insect problem or somethiung else entirely, one very common reason for such a problem is that the new pot is too large for the plant and when you water it, the plant can't use all the water quickly enough so the soil stays very wet. As a result, the roots begin to rot. If this is the case, you can repot it again into a pot that is only a little larger than the original pot. Another common reason would be that the plant is now planted deeper than it was originally. If this is the case, take it out and reset it at the level it originally grew. Another possible reason is that the new soil is very different from the old soil and the roots are not growing into the new soil as a result. This can cause water stress, especially if the old soil dries out faster than the new soil. If this is the case, you may want to repot it into a soil that is more similar to the original. I hope this helps you trouble shoot the problem.