The Q&A Archives: Weed Killer In The Vegetable Garden

Question: I've already planted my vegetables and they are growing vigorously. The problem is that I did not use a landscaping fabric to control the weeds, which are now overtaking the vegetable garden faster than I can remove them. Can I use a weed killer like Roundup in my vegetable garden to spot spray the weeds? If not, is there some other kind of weedkiller I can use that will not harm my vegetables?

Answer: You can, but it isn't a great idea. Generally, I don't like to recommend using herbicides like RoundUp around food crops. If I absolutely had to do this, I would use the foam version of RoundUp, being very, very careful. After you have killed the weeds, put down a very thick layer of mulch (around 6") in the vegetable bed to suppress the weeds. You could also use newspaper.