The Q&A Archives: Sedum Crowds Perennials

Question: Last year I planted sedum, the groundcover. It has really taken off this year due to an abundance of rain and
sun. I'm concerned now that it will overtake the perennials I have planted there. Some of the plants established are daisies, black-eyed susans, blanket flower, thyme, coralbells, coreopsis, lamb's ear, and silver mound among others.

Answer: There are a number of varietes of sedum that can be used as a ground cover and some are more aggressive than others. Since your other plants are generally taller and larger and vigorous growers, they should be able to compete with it once they are well established. You might take special care to create some extra room around the thyme and silver mound however so that they have good air circulation.