The Q&A Archives: Chick Munks

Question: This is the first year that I have seen chick munks in my yard and garden. I dont know if they are eating any of my plants, but they are digging several holes through out the garden next to the plants. Are they attracted to any plants or fruits? Also how can I deter them from comming into the garden. Do one of those electronic devices help (The kind that make that high pitch noise)?

Answer: Chipmunks seem to dig holes and eat bulbs such as tulip and crocus and will munch on fruits and berries and the occasional cucumber, but do not bother the majority of plants in my garden. They are difficult to deter. Some gardeners report success using repellents, either the commerical types or homemade sprays based on garlic and/or red pepper, some notice that a pet dog or cat helps. Encouraging their natural predators such as hawks and so on can also be effective.