The Q&A Archives: Birds Ruining Garden Plants

Question: I have been losing the battle against birds in my garden! Between the dirt baths uprooting my new transplants with and now the holes in my leaves, I am getting frustrated. The birds are pecking holes in the leaves or eating off all of the leaves thus killing the plant. Is there a natural way to deter the birds (they ate my marigold buds before they bloomed and chemical spraying defeats the purpose of organic/home grown vegetables) or do I have to resort to enclosing the whole garden with fencing (which I really don't want to do)? Help!!!

Answer: Gardeners report varying success with a number of different bird repelling tactics. Here are some to consider: the scarecrow and the hawk sculpture; the metallic bird tape that flashes; a pet dog or cat on patrol; controlling any insects that they may be foraging when they attack the foliage; setting a wire mesh cage or summer weight row cover over top the seeds and transplants until they are large enough to withstand the damage. This last may be the most effective.