The Q&A Archives: Water Tolerant Plants

Question: One area of my yard is often soaked. I am in zone 9 and where the summers are hot, and it gets to freezing sometimes in winter. The area is mostly a sunny location. Can you recommend some water tolerant plants? Would canna work?

Answer: Plants suitable for your growing region that will tolerate soggy soils include Iris laevigata (not the commonly grown iris, but a water garden iris), Iris sibirica 'Perry's Blue' or 'White Swirl', Schizostylis coccinea (Kaffir Lily), Aster novi-belgii 'Snowsprite' (a form of Michaelmas Daisy), Primula rosea 'Delight', Ranunculus lingua 'Grandiflora', Hemerocallis 'Burning Daylight' (a form of daylily), or Calla palustris (Bog Arum). Canna likes moist soil only during bloom, so unless you plan to dig and store them after bloom, you'll be happier with one of the other suggested plants. Good luck with your new garden!