The Q&A Archives: Poor Soil

Question: My tomato plants are an off green color and have been for years not. I've fertilized sll sorts of ways. I'm currently using Mirical Grow (Just started this week). The plants are a yellowish green and some of the leafs are curled under. My garden is 25 X 35 I use one application of mirical grow for the whole garden. Any Suggestions. Please help. Oh also my Cabbage is growing fine....

Answer: You might want to run some basic soil tests and see how your soil measures up not only for nutrients but also for pH as this can affect the way plants can absorb and use the available nutrients. Tomatoes require a rich soil that is evenly moist, and a good soil structure will help with that. You might make sure that your soil has ample organic matter (such as compost, old rotted leaves or aged stable manure and bedding) added to it regularly to help keep it healthy. Finally, you might want to consult with your county extension (265-5051) to see if they can shed any light on the problem.