The Q&A Archives: Japanese Maple Wilting

Question: About two months ago we purchased a Japanese Maple and planted it in our backyard lawn. About two weeks ago the leaves started curling up and falling off. We have given it plenty of water and can't understand what happened all of a sudden. Almost all of the leaves have been affected now. What can we do to save it??

Answer: Based on your description it is difficult to make a diagnosis. The symptoms you described could be related to a number of factors ranging from inadequate watering to over watering to accidental herbicide spray drift to overfertilizing to a disease problem and so on. You might want to consult with the nursery where you bought the tree and/or with your county extension (566-0673) to try to figure out what is happening to your tree. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.