The Q&A Archives: Yellowing Leaves on Cucumbers

Question: I'm growing bush cucumber plants, but the leaves are turning yellow around the edges. The ground is moist, but not wet. They are in full sun with no shade. The soil was prepared with fresh topsoil and steer manure. What can I do to help them survive? Also, since they are bush cucumbers will they climb up a wire tomato cage? I'm growing zucchini plants which are thriving, but white blotches are appearing on many of the leaves. Is this a fungus? What can I do? I used some Miracle plant food when planting. Thanks. Gary Baker Mission Viejo, CA

Answer: Your bush cucumbers shouldn't climb trellises or cages, since they are bred to be compact plants. The cucumber symptom you describe is a pretty general one, but I think it has something to do with root damage or nutrient deficiency. If the steer manure you used was fresh, not composted, it may have damaged the roots. It sounds like your zucchini may have powdery mildew, but for both problems, I suggest calling your extension service for a positive I.D., since it's almost impossible to make a diagnosis without more information. Your extension service can be reached at 714-708-1606.