The Q&A Archives: Controlling Aphids

Question: I am having a terrible time getting rid of aphids. They are having a field day on my hibiscus. I want to try releasing ladybugs but I don't know where to get them, or if they would be effective in this part of the country. What is you opinion of using ladybugs to at least help in controlling aphids and where might I get some? Thanks. Ellen D. Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Answer: Ladybugs larvae are actually the more effective predator, so I recommend Gardens Alive's ladybugs, which are ready to reproduce upon arrival! They state their stock "will produce over 10,000 aphid-eating larvae within 30 days." Gardens Alive can be reached by calling 812-537-8650. However, your hibiscus may need help before the baby ladies are ready to eat solid food. Neem-Away is the acute solution (also sold by Gardens Alive), as it supresses the aphids desire to eat and interrupts their life cycle. The active ingredient is an extract from Neem tree seed.