The Q&A Archives: Care Of Day Lilies

Question: Can you give me some information on the feeding and care of Day Lilies, especially at the end of the growing season?

Answer: You can keep Hemerocallis, or Daylilies, neater in appearance by cutting the flowering stalks down to soil level when flowering stops. These are easy care plants, performing best when they receive fertilizer (5-10-10) in the spring prior to bloom and another application in late summer.
In my garden I leave the foliage on perennials until the frost kills them back and they wither and brown. It is important to leave the foliage intact while it is still green so the root system can store up enough food energy for the long hibernation. I then cut them back to ground level. Mulching with a light, airy mulch such as pine boughs or straw after the ground freezes.