The Q&A Archives: Non-flowering Asters

Question: I purchased romance asters for my garden last year, so this is officially their second growing season. They are lush, green, and about 4 feet tall, but no flowers. It's the end of June; am I expecting blooms too early, or should I be cutting them back to promote flowering. The bed is mulched, and I have fertilized the entire butterfly garden that they are part of. Your suggestions please?

Answer: Although I am not specifically familiar with an aster variety named "Romance", most perennial asters do not bloom until late summer, say August and into September. Since they tend to be tall and lanky, most gardeners will cut them back by about half in June to encourage bushiness. This causes the plant to generate more blooms but also delays the bloom cycle a bit.