The Q&A Archives: My 'bethany Beach" Hydrangea Hasn't Bloomed In The 4 Years Since I've Had It.

Question: I purchased 4 'Bethany Beach' Hydrangeas from you, which have never bloomed. Two died, but the other two have nice green foliage and stand about 18" tall, but don't bloom. They are near the foundation of the house and get full sun. I use Miracle Grow or Mir-acid every other week. Does it take several years for these to mature and bloom?
Should I just be patient? Could you also let me know about pruning this type. I've been waiting until Spring to see where the new growth begins and then prune it back pretty hard.

This looked like such a beautiful plant in the catalogue. I've been waiting with anticipation since I got them.. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Answer: Since these hydrangeas bloom on the previous year's wood, pruning themin the spring removes any flower buds. It is also possible that the buds or stems have frozen back during the winter, with the same result, no flowers. You might try giving it some extra winter protection and stop pruning for the most part. Pruning would normally be limited to removing any branches killed back by the winter cold and possibly, on older established plants, to thinning them to encourage new vigorous growth.