The Q&A Archives: Edible Flowers

Question: I am an amateur cook, and I love to garnish my dishes before I present then to my guest. I would like to learn about eatable folwers, that I can put on the plate, with the food, for a real impressive presentation. I would like to know if Burpee has a pamplet, or publication that will tell me which flowers are good as a garnish on food. If not, can you recommend any publications, that I might find in my library, that will cover this subject?

Answer: A startling array of flowers can be eaten. There are a number of books about edible flowers, but one of the best known is "The Edible Flower Garden" by Rosalind Creasy. Here are a two web sites you might enjoy:

Burpee offers seeds for many of the edible flowers and some specialty seed catalogs such as Shepherds Seeds ( and Cooks Garden ( offer collections of edible flowers, sometimes complete with flavor descriptions and recipes.

Before eating any flower, be sure you have positively identified it, and that it has not been
treated with pesticides.

Bon Appetit!