The Q&A Archives: Bellflowers Have Taken Over, Help!

Question: I purchased a home where the flower beds were not taken care of. A Flower, I believe are bellflowers have taken over. Although these flowers are beautiful when in bloom, I would like to enjoy other varieties of flowers. This is my second summer in this home. My first summer I cleaned out the flower beds, to start fresh. By the end of the summer bell flowers were still sprouting every where. I tried pulling them out again. They sprouted again. I dug I dug them up, still they won out. This spring they were the first plant to rear their head. I tried to confine them to a certain area of the flower bed, but this also failed. Any suggestions so all my other beautiful flowers have a fighting chance to be seen?

Answer: At this point, you have tried so many approaches, you may want to use an herbicide containing glyphosate to control the weed. Read and follow the instructions carefully, keeping in mind this is a contact herbicide and will damage or kill desirable plants it contacts. You may find that the wipe on method is easiest to control near desirable plants, and you might also experiment using a shield of some sort to protect them from accidental overspray.