The Q&A Archives: Will Soaking Harm Bean Seed Germination?

Question: I planted some pole Kentucky Wonder bean seeds and some bush bean seeds as well. Before planting I soaked the seeds overnight. The bush seeds have sprouted and are growing, but I haven't seen a single one of the pole beans yet (2 weeks). Did I hurtthem by soaking them, or could I have gotten a bad batch of seeds? Ken Rose Palo Alto, CA

Answer: You did not hurt the seeds by soaking them! You actually gave them a jump start by doing that! Dig around in the soil to see if you can find some of the seeds, and see if they have any sprouts. You won't be hurting anything and you'll have a better idea as to what happened to the seed! If you can't find the seed, maybe something ate them; if you do find them and they haven't germinated, it could be a bad batch.