The Q&A Archives: Perennials For Am Sun

Question: I live in northern PA where we have a relatively short growing season and would like to plant perennials that will do well in morning sun with shady daytime. At one time, we were thinking of making a butterfly/hummingbird garden there. What plants would you suggest for such an area?

Answer: Some perennial plants for morning sun would include hostas (there are many foliage variations available), ferns, pulmonaria, columbine, Solomon's Seal, astilbe and in the sunniest area, perennial geraniums. Although you may not find these plants specifically on butterfly or hummingbird lists, in my own garden the hummingbirds regularly enjoy the columbine and hosta blooms. There are woodland butterflies that will appreciate your efforts, too.