The Q&A Archives: Planting Depth for Peppers

Question: Today 7/5, I picked my first Early Girl tomato, grown under lights and transplanted in the garden in Wall O'Waters around 4/1. My regular plantings of tomatoes & peppers go in after the last frost. I always plant those tomatoes with the root ball at regular depth and bury most of the stem horizontally. My question - will sweet peppers benefit, and more importantly, tolerate the same treatment?

Answer: Congratulations on your early harvest! Peppers should be planted at the normal depth for transplants, just a little bit lower than they grew originally. They do not benefit from that deeper planting or horizontal planting the way tomatoes do. You can try to warm the soil even earlier though by covering it with black plastic (remove and use an organic mulch after planting) and/or using a raised bed.