The Q&A Archives: Atlantic Giant Pumpkin

Question: I am presently growing one of Dill's Atlantic Giant Pumpkins. My plant is 6 feet long, I have buried the vines for more rooting, and I have some small fruits starting to grow at about 3 feet and 5 feet. (Eventually, I will only keep one.) I am wondering, to get best results and size, should I allow one of these pumpkins to grow, or would it be best to grow one that is farther away from the main root system? Thanks a lot!

Answer: The difference between three feet and five feet is not terribly significant. Ultimately, keep the early pumpkin that looks the best. Remove all later pumpkins immediately to direct the vine's energy to your number one pumpkin. Keep the vine growing as vigorously as possible for best results.