The Q&A Archives: How to Grow Eucalyptus

Question: I would like to grow eucalyptus if possible. Can you tell me how to get started and what climate regions it will grow in?

Answer: Most Eucalyptus are hardy to about 25-30 degrees F. That's about USDA Zone 9. Some, however, are hardier -- to about 10-15. Many, too, can be grown as one-season annuals, long enough to produce a different and exciting accent in the flower border or toproduce long stems for cutting and drying. If you plan to grow from seed, sow seed in open flats filled with sterile seedling mix. Keep in shade and water sparingly. When seedlings are 2-3 inches high, prick out gently and transplant to larger individual pots. Plant seedlings to the garden when all frost is past and the plants are 6-12 inches high (about 2 months from sowing). Most Eucalyptus like regular watering when they are actively growing and a dry, rest period during slow times.