The Q&A Archives: Lithodra Grace Ward

Question: I have looked everywhere for information on "Lithodra Grace Ward." I bought a flat of them to use as a ground cover. They look like a succulent and have small blue-purple "bugle-shaped" flowers. I live in New Market, Maryland. This plant will be planted under my deck next to the patio. Any info would help. Thanks! Betsy Hoffman

Answer: Most Lithodoras (also known as Lithospermum) are marginally hardy into zone 6 but "Grace Ward" is listed as hardy from zones 5 to 9. It requires an acid soil that is well drained. It prefers a sunny location so it may not do well under your deck if it is shady there. It is evergreen and stays short and creeping. It should be trimmed back lightly after bloom and does not transplant well.