The Q&A Archives: Water Dripping From Calla Lily

Question: I bought a calla lily yesterday and it started to droop within hours of bringing it home. The foliage and flowers are all bent towards the ground. It is also dripping (water?)something odorless and wet from the leaves and flowers. What is going on?

Answer: I wonder if your calla was exposed to bright sunshine or overly hot temperatures during transit? Either or both could have terrible consequences - as you've discovered. Callas go into dormancy after flowering, and with luck yours will too, emerging after its rest with healthy new foliage. Cut the flowerstalk back to foliage level to reduce some of the stress your plant is going through. As the leaves begin to yellow withhold water and allow them to dry out. Don't water again until new sprouts appear. Good luck with your calla!