The Q&A Archives: How Do I Preserve Water Hyacinths Over The Winter?

Question: My Water Hyacinths grow great in 2 outdoor environments: 1) a 18"-deep dirt ditch that's fed water every day and 2) a dirt container in a 50 gallon goldfish pond with a waterfall pump that keeps water moving so the multiplying Hyacinth's roots gather food simultaneously clearing the water. Hyacinths are so expensive, I hate to have to buy new ones but I lose all my stock about every 3 years during the winter. The ones that survive best are always in the dirt ditch (my chickens watering source). How can I preserve at least 2 out of 20 - 30 plants until spring growing time starts? Bringing them indoors in a 5-gal bucket of dirt and water always fails but the same bucket outdoors sometimes is successful.

Answer: As you've discovered, the plants are quite tender and will die when temperatures dip too low. Water hyacinths can be wintered over in a bucket in a greenhouse where both water and air temperatures remain warm, or indoors in an aquarium where a source of light can help them retain their health. Good luck with your plants!