The Q&A Archives: Controlling Fungus on Oak Trees

Question: I live in Southeast Texas and have an off white fungus(?) on the limbs of my live oak trees. It is a thin layer of spots 4" to 8" and seems to kill one limb at a time. What is it? What can be done for it? Is it a mineral dificiency? I would appreciate any help you could give me.... Thanks. Kent Jowell Orange, TX

Answer: Sometimes fungus sets in after a limb has started to die for other reasons. In a less attractive scenario, by the time you see a fungal "fruiting body", it's too late to do anything about the problem. Live oaks are succeptible to some pretty nasty fungal diseases, so I would have a knowledgeable professional arborist or extension agent diagnose the problem for you and make a recommendation. Your extension office can be reached by calling 409-882-7010.