The Q&A Archives: Ridding My Gardens Of Woodchucks Humanely

Question: I have a family of woodchucks who live at the neighbors, but seem to prefer our garden. I have replanted scaret runner beans, spinich, basil,parsey and other things but ot seems that they only grow s0 tall, and poof, they are gone. I have used nicotine water, red pepper, galic, mothbals, amonia around the parimeter of gardenm and have transferred many plants in containers to my deck. Any suggestgions? Thanks

Answer: Woodchucks are not only big bold eaters, seemingly oblivious to all deterrents except a sturdy wire fence both above and below ground, but they are potentially very unpredictable and may bite without provocation. I would strongly suggest you call in a professional to live trap and remove them, rather than attempting to do it yourself.