The Q&A Archives: Encouraging Bouganvillea to Bloom

Question: I have a red bouganvillea ouside my front door that was probably planted 5-6 years ago, before I bought the home. Two summers ago it bloomed beautifully but has bloomed much less well this year and last. It has few leaves and now has several branches that are wilted. It's in a large planter. Suggestions? Thanks. Steven Brown San Francisco, CA

Answer: Sorry to hear your bouganvillea isn't doing well. Could it be that the soil in the planter is too moist? They prefer a well-drained soil. Have you fertilized it at all in the last few years? A bit of slow-release organic flower fertilizer, once a yearis suggested. Prune out any diseased, dead or crowded branches. Are there insects visible on the leaves? Sometimes container plants are subject to soil pests enjoying the safe environment of a pot devoid of their natural predators. If none of the suggestions I've made rejuvenate your vine, you may need to dig into the soil to see if something is feasting on the roots.