The Q&A Archives: Lupine Not Flowering

Question: I bought two lupines from a nursery this spring and planted them in a partial shade area. They have not bloomed, although the foliage looks fine. Is this normal? (I have heard that some plants don't bloom the first year they are planted.)Thank you.

Answer: Lupines thrive in full sun to partially shady conditions and should bloom from early- through mid-summer. If your plants look healthy but are not flowering, they may not be getting quite enough sunshine. If you can find a bed that is shady in the morning but sunny all afternoon long, your lupines should bloom all summer for you. If you decide to relocate the plants, try to do it on a cloudy day, or wait until the weather cools a bit and move them in early autumn. Enjoy your lupines!