The Q&A Archives: Plants for a Shady Container Garden

Question: I am going to try for the first time to grow a urban garden on my back terrace. It is 10' x 10' and during the summer months has direct sun from 11am to 3pm.I would like to have some recomendations for flowers and non-flowering plants (leaves) that would do well in containers. I would like them to be ok through the winter and come back each year.Any suggestions? Kathy New York, NY

Answer: What a great, exciting project! Some container gardening experts say that if you insulate and mulch your planters properly, perennial plants will survive the winter in containers. I suggest to you a book titled The Complete Urban Gardener, by Joan Puma(Harper ISBN #0-06-091106-9) as an excellent reference. Here's a short list from this book of flowering perennial plants recommended for partial shade: Achillea, Aquilegia, Campanula, Hemerocallis, Hosta. There are annuals that will produce seed to will sprout and bloom the following year, such as pansies and alyssum. Caladium are tender bulbs that furnish a wide array of foliage color through the growing season, and then can be lifted, stored and replanted next spring. All of these are available from the Burpee catalog.