The Q&A Archives: Hardy Hibiscus Dropping Buds

Question: I have a three-year old "Lord Baltimore" hibiscus that bloomed well it's first two summers. This year it is enormous, with dozens of buds. However, the buds get to be a bit smaller than a walnut, then yellow and drop off. The plant looks great overall, large, green leaves, etc. I recall that last year by this time it had already had a dozen blooms. Any idea what is happening? How can I stop it?

Answer: This is a bit unusual as hardy hibiscus (Shrub Althea) is normally a very reliable bloomer. You might try cutting open a few buds to see if there is an insect infestation of some sort, or any evidence of fungal infection. Finally, you might consult with your County Extension (513-887-3722) to see if there are other plants in your area exhibiting the same problem and/or if they can diagnose it for you and suggest any remedies. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.