The Q&A Archives: Recommend Potting Soil Mix To Prevent Snapdragons From Wilting

Question: I love snapdragons but I often have a hard time with them in pots. I like to mix annual in large pots for the patio. I use a soil mixture of 1 part top soil, 1 part composted manure and 1 part pine bark soil conditioner which is basically a fairly fine pine bark mulch. My snapdragons will be doing okay but will still wilt all of a sudden from which, as we all know, they never recover. All my other plants seem to be doing fine in this mix. Should I change the mix to something else especially for the snapdragons?

Answer: Since all the other plants are fine, I would suspect, rather than the mix, that it is the summer heat that causes the plants to die. Perhaps you could make a separate pot or two of snaps and the remove it when the weather turns too hot for them -- that way you don't have to contend with replacing plants within the main mixed containers.