The Q&A Archives: Harvesting

Question: I am moving across town. My rhubarb is just established where we are, three growing seasons without havesting. Did I have to wait this long? Can I transplant it into pots, then plant around my new house? Mike Thees Beachwood, NJ

Answer: If your rhubarb was strong and vigorous in its second year, you could have harvested a few stalks. However, now that you're moving, it's probably a good thing you didn't harvest, as now the plants are good and strong, and should take well to their new home. You can move the rhubarb now, by placing them in pots with moistened peat moss and replanting as soon as possible to the new site. The less time out of the ground, the better, so have the new site prepared ahead of time.