The Q&A Archives: Dying Cherry Tomatoe Plant

Question: Hi,

I have planted a cherry tomato plant in a 10" or 12" container. I have about 18 green tomatoes on it and it was doing great until about 2 weeks ago. The leaves are wilting and turning yellow and I try to cut all those leaves off but everyday I go out I have to cut more off. I was watering it everday and it seemed that the dirt was getting low so I added more dirt today. Can you tell me what I can do to bring life back to this plant.

Answer: It sounds as though the plant may be stressed due to lack of water and root space, or it may be showing signs of soil problems, or early signs of a disease or insect problem. The plant needs soil that is kept evenly moist, which may mean watering twice a day as it grows larger and the weather warms. Be careful though not to make the soil sopping wet. The plant is also a heavy feeder, so make sure you are fertilizing it regularly; a top dressing of compost can also help. If the plant seems very crowded and is wilting every day, you may want to repot it into a slightly larger pot -- a five gallon bucket would be better. Plant it slightly deeper than it is now, use the same type of soil and water it in well. If you do this gently it should not even "know" it has been moved. Finally, look closely for signs of insects or disease.