The Q&A Archives: Winter Care For Strawberry Jars!?

Question: This is my first year growing stawberries! I have found out on Burpees website how to care for the plants in winter that I planted in the yard, but, can I house my strawberry plants in jars in a semi-warm spot indoors ,close to a window for light & save the plants for next year? What happens to my strawberry plants in jars over the winter monthes?

Answer: Strawberry jars can be difficult to overwinter. Terra cotta jars may shatter if allowed to freeze. Plant roots are not as hardy as their tops, so even hardy plants such as strawberries may freeze to death if the soil freezes. Strawberries can withstand cold temperatures, so the easiest method is to set the jar in an unheated garage or other cold but not freezing location when the weather turns very cold, then move them back outside in early spring.