The Q&A Archives: Deterring Cats from the Garden

Question: I know this is such a stupid question, but I have a raised bed and have a problem with cats using it as a cat box (go ahead and laugh) is there any non toxic repellent I could use to deter them? J. chambers Boston, MA

Answer: We get this question all the time!! There is, unfortunately no sure-fire way to keep cats out of your newly-planted beds. You can try using a deterrent--sprinkle black pepper or cayenne pepper around the beds. You can also try placing chicken wire over newly planted beds--you'll have to remove it before plants begin poking through. Or you can try luring them away by planting a bed of catnip in another part of the yard. Just be sure the catnip plants are fairly large, or the cats will destroythem quickly.