The Q&A Archives: Dead Birds

Question: Yesterday my aunt found a total of seven dead birds in and around her pond. Today she found two more on her sidewalk. Upon further examination of the neighborhood we found many other dead birds. They appeared to have suffered no trauma, which leads me to believe that a chemical or pesticide is to blame. She lives in a residential area and herself has not used any pesticides. Have you any suggestions or contacts? Thank you in advance for any advice you may have. Jeanne Wigginton Jeffersonville,IN

Answer: That is, indeed, very troubling. I would begin by contacting your state department of natural resources to let them know what you have found. You can also call the National Pesticide Telecommunications Network at 1-800-858-7378. This is a national pesticide information service that may be able to help you determine if the birds' deaths were caused by a pesticide.