The Q&A Archives: Asparagus

Question: I dug up a fern in the woods last summer, and planted it in my flower bed. As it grew I noticed another plant growing next to it. This year, I saw asparagus sprouts coming up. I let them go and they made new ferns. They are in the shade right now, and I want to plant them in the vegetable garden which is in the sun. What do I need to do now? Do I leave them where they are for a while longer or do I move them this Fall.I know you are not suppose to cut sprouts for several yrs. Please help me.

Answer: What a surprise! If you were able to transplant it once, you should be able to do it again but keep in mind that the root system will have expanded since you planted it. You can move it in the fall after frost, replanting fairly deep and being sure to prepare the soil very well before planting. Mulch it well with compost and or aged manure and you should see some strong shoots next spring. You might then wait another year before harvesting lightly.