The Q&A Archives: What Is Causing My Tomotoe Plants Leaves At The Top Turn Brown?

Question: My tomatoe plants are turning brown on the leaves at the top of the plant. PLEASE HELP!

Answer: A number of cultural problems can cause the problem you describe but it sounds like your tomatoes are suffering from Fusarium wilt, a fungal disease that chokes the vessels in the plant stem and prevent moisture and food from moving through the plant. Unfortunately, once the disease sets in, there's nothing you can do to cure your plants. The good news is that you can avoid this problem in the future by planting resistant varieties. It also helps to add lots of compost to your soil each year, and to rotate your crops through the garden year to year.