The Q&A Archives: How Do You Get Dahlia Seeds From The Plant?

Question: I have some very pretty dahlias. This is my first year planting them and I love them. I was wondering if you can get some seeds from the plant to spread along in the garden the way you can marigolds etc.? Thank you.
Beverly Poteet

Answer: Dahlias are normally propagated by dividing the clump of tubers rather than by seed. This method assures you will have the identical plant and it is quite easy to do. This fall, carefully dig the tubers and store them in a cool (not freezing) dry location. (You will be amazed at how much they have increased.) Check them periodically for mold or shriveling. In the spring, carefully separate the tubers, leaving a good piece of stem with each one. Each section will grow into a new plant.