The Q&A Archives: Wilting Flowers On Petunias

Question: My petunias seem to be growing fine, the problem is the flowers seem to be in full bloom one day and then the next
day the flowers are wilted. My flower bed has petunias,
dusty miller, and coleus. The rest of the petunia plant
look healthy and are growing and spreading throughout the
flower bed-- I just don't understand what is causing the blooms to wilt overnight--All my petunias are doing this.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Answer: The blooms could be wilting due to several possible reasons, but with the wet weather some people are seeing botrytis on flowers and this causes them to wilt and rot and sometimes not open correctly. You might want to take a sample to your county extension (367-2772) and see if they can identify the cause for you and possibly suggest a fungicide or other controls. In the meantime, remove any infected blooms and destroy them to try to limit reinfection. Increasing air circulation can also help.