The Q&A Archives: Foxtail Lily (Eremurus isabellinus) Basics

Question: I have received a packet of seeds marked "Emerurus Inderiensis". I searched the Net

Answer: I believe the seeds you received are probably Eremurus isabellinus, the foxtail lily. This perennial flowering plant will dieback in Rhode island, but the regrow from the roots each year. This early growing plant eventually produces 2 to 3 foot tall flower spikes in a range of colors from yellow to pink to white. The leaves are spikey and flowers appear in June about the time iris bloom. They are great planted in the back of a flowering perennial border because of the tall, "delphinium-like" flower stalk. Once established, they'll last many years in the garden and don't like being transplanted. Seeds grown this year will not flower until next year, but they are definitely worth growing!