The Q&A Archives: Rhubard Died, When To Plant New

Question: My rhubarb just up & died this spring, & was spindly last season. It's been there a long time & I've always gotten a good crop in the past years. What could be the reason? I've noticed Burpee has been out of stock a long time. When should I try to get some to replant? Would it be best to replant in the fall for a spring crop? Thanks, Bev

Answer: Rhubarb is traditionally planted in early spring using bare root plants or during the growing season using container grown stock. Rhubarb is usually a long lived plant but it does need a very rich soil and ample moisture to grow well. It is possible that dry weather or an insect or a disease or a combination of these factors weakened your plant. Without knowing what caused it to die, you might want to plant the new one in a different spot in case the problem was something that could hold over in the soil. To verify availability, please contact Burpee directly. Their toll free number is 800-888-1447.