The Q&A Archives: Winter Procedure For Allamanda In Pot

Question: What is the right way to prepare an allamanda in a pot for wintering on an enclosed, heated porch? It is growing on
a trellis in a big pot now. I don't much care to move everything inside. Can I cut it back and "let it sit" with minimal care until it goes back outside?

Answer: You can cut it down off the trellis and bring it indoors, then keep it relatively cool (55 degrees is good) and allow the soil to dry slightly. Keep the soil barely damp and do not fertilize it. The cooler temperatures and reduced light indoors will keep it in minimal growth and may cause it to defoliate entirely. In spring when it begins to perk up, repot it or refresh the soil, begin fertilizing again and place it in the brightest light available. Then move it outdoors gradually to acclimate it to the increased light levels.